So often, when we hear the word, complain, those of us who have worked in customer service bristle! However, complaints are not always a bad thing – sometimes complaints can be quite valuable. When we shift our perceptions from negativity to a positive frame, we may actually welcome complaints…well, sometimes!
Complaints can be beneficial because:
- Complaints can give you information you may not otherwise have. Sometimes we can’t see the forest through the trees, in other words, we may be too close to the situation to see problems or issues.
- When we receive complaints, we receive information. Let’s face it; often times some information is better than no information. When people take the time out to complain, that means at some level they care! If they were complacent or indifferent about you or your organization, they would say nothing.
- If the complaint doesn’t come to you, it doesn’t mean the complaint is not being shared with someone else…perhaps shared with someone else with whom they are now doing business!
The complaint gives you an opportunity to correct the situation. Contrary to popular belief, ignorance is not bliss.
Think about this: When people do share a complaint with you, they are actually saying:
- I value this relationship.
- I hope to continue this relationship.
- I am presenting this problem to you because I care.
- I know you can fix this.
What are your thoughts about complaints?